Latvia is a minor nation located in Northern Europe, on the coast of the Baltic Sea and is one of the three "Baltic States" in-game, located in between the other two. Latvia is bordered by Estonia to the north, Lithuania and Poland to the south and the Soviet Union to the east.
Latvia achieved independence as a result of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, signed between Imperial Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Russian Provisional Government in March 1918. After the collapse of the Russian Provisional government and the rise of the Bolshevik communist regime, the Petrograd Soviet, seeking to prevent Baltic independence and spread the proletarian world revolution, invaded the Baltic region. Latvia joined forces with the rest of the Baltic States to defend its independence and was able to stop the Russian offensive. A peace treaty was signed in 1920 and Latvia's independence was recognized by the rest of the world after World War I. As part of the secret protocol of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, Eastern Europe was divided into spheres of interest by Germany and the Soviet Union. Latvia was in the Soviet zone and was occupied by the Soviet Union in 1940. This occupation was briefly interrupted in 1941 by Operation Barbarossa when Germany occupied the area, reorganizing the Baltic States into the "Reichskommisariat Ostland". The area was re-occupied by the Soviet Union in 1944-1945 and the Baltic States were annexed into the Soviet Union after the end of World War II and reorganized into the Estonian SSR, Latvian SSR and Lithuanian SSR. Latvia remained part of the Soviet Union until 1991 when it declared itself independent during the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Latvia does not start with any national spirits.
Latvia starts with 3 research slots.
|Army technology||Naval technology||Air technology||Electronics & Industry|
Latvia shares good relations with the other Baltic states and Finland but is otherwise a mostly isolated country, with all diplomacy values revolving around "Different Ideology", "Same Ideology" and "Same Ruling Party". They have a land border with Lithuania; Estonia and Soviet Union.
Latvia has no alliances at the start of the game. However, they may join the Międzymorze if created by Poland.
Latvia is in the Baltics, which is part of Northern Europe. Latvia's terrain is a mix of forests and hills with its cities counted as urban terrain. It is made up of two states: Vidzeme and Kurzeme. They have a land border with Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and the Soviet Union.
- Main article: Generic national focus tree
Latvia, lacking a unique national focus tree, uses the generic national focus tree instead.
The generic focus tree has 5 main branches:
- Army Effort gives army experience and research bonuses to army research.
- Aviation Effort gives air experience, builds air bases, and research bonuses to air research.
- Naval Effort gives navy experience, builds naval dockyards, and research bonuses to navy research.
- Industrial Effort builds civilian and military factories (usually even if building slots are already full)and grants extra research slots.
- Political Effort gives the country choices on which political path they will take.
- Can force government of another country to adopt the same ideology.
- Generate war goal tension limit: +50%
- Lend-lease tension limit: +40%
- Send volunteers tension limit: +40%
- Guarantee tension limit: +40%
- Join faction tension limit: +40%
- Ideology drift defense: -30%
- Civilian intelligence to others: +20%
- Army intelligence to others: +10%
- Navy intelligence to others: +20%
- Airforce intelligence to others: +10%
Karlis Ulmanis of the non-aligned Tautas Padome party leads just short of a majority in both scenarios, holding 45% popularity.