National focus trees serve as a replacement for the mixture of decisions and triggered events which directed countries in previous iterations of Hearts of Iron.
The focus trees allow the players (and the AI) to direct the development of their nation. Each country has a focus tree, representing a number of progression paths (branches) available to that nation. These paths may be based on actual historical situations or on alternative historical possibilities. The individual options can range from political, diplomatic and warfare-related focuses to more economic and research-related focuses.
Due to the semi-random nature of the AI it ensures that no two games will play out in precisely the same way. Players wishing to have a more historical-based campaign can choose to do so by ticking the Historical AI Focuses option on the country selection screen (map) just before the start of a new game. It is important to note, however, that player nations are not bound by this and as such their in-game actions can still force the AI to pick somewhat less than historical choices.
The seven major countries have a unique national focus tree in the base game (Poland received a unique tree in a free DLC). Additional countries - as detailed below - received a unique tree as part of different DLCs. All other nations use the generic national focus tree.
- 1 Mechanic overview
- 2 Country list
- 2.1 Base game trees
- 2.2 Together for Victory trees
- 2.3 Death or Dishonor trees
- 2.4 Waking the Tiger trees
- 2.5 Man the Guns trees
- 2.6 National Spirits
- 2.7 Diplomacy
- 2.8 Ideology
- 2.9 Political Parties
- 2.10 Political Advisors
- 2.11 Decisions
Branches in a focus tree revolve around a common theme or goal with the individual focuses within intended to help in achieving that goal. Although branches are mostly isolated from each other, they will be connected (locally) if they happen to coincide over a common point.
Only a single focus can be taken at a time. A focus requires 70 Political power to complete at a progress rate of –1 Political power per day - this means a focus would usually be completed within 70 days. When completed, the player may go up to 10 days without picking a new focus and still have those days (and their accumulated Political power) count towards the new focus.
Aside from the branches' top level focuses, most other focuses have additional requirements in need of fulfillment before they can be picked. If a requirement of an on-going focus has become invalidated, the focus will either be paused until the requirement is restored (if possible) or outright be cancelled when such a thing is not easily possible. For cases such as the latter, focuses will have bypass conditions to allow the player to proceed past them - the player will be notified of the bypass within a few days (they will display a golden bracket as if completed regularly). For example, Motorization Effort can be bypassed if the Motorized Infantry technology has already been researched beforehand.
Once a focus has started, the player can't manually stop or replace it. If, due to circumstances, the focus has been invalidated, the resources already spent are lost. As such, it is immensely recommended to check all requirements and conditions regarding a focus to assess if/how they may be affected within its completion time-frame.
Accessing a focus' expanded details can be achieved by clicking or hovering over the focus. Among the information presented there are: the flavor description, its requirements, bypass conditions (if applicable) and the expected completion effects.
- Bracket color - Players can check at a glance a focus' completion status by the background color of its name bracket. Grey bracket means available for picking, brown bracket indicates as of yet unavailability and golden bracket denotes completed focuses. On-going focuses will feature a shining overlay effect over them.
- Connection lines - Focuses are connected by colored lines. The color indicates whether its preceding focus is completed (green) or not (light-blue). The connection may also appear as a solid or dotted line, with the former indicating a logical AND and the latter a logical OR. For example, to pick Special Forces would require all 3 of the focuses preceding it while picking Technology Sharing requires only one of the 2 preceding it.
- Mutually exclusive - Some focuses may have the mutually exclusive icon appearing in-between them. The icon denotes that only one of two may be selected. Further more, depending on the focuses outgoing connections it may also exclude from picking any of the focuses connected to them further down the line. For example, choosing between Collectivist Ethos or Liberty Ethos will make any of the other side's subsequent connected focuses unavailable for picking up until Technology Sharing (linked to both sides by an OR connection).
- Main article: Continuous focus
A continuous focus is a special type of focus that is unlocked once 10 regular focuses have been completed. There are a total of 9 continuous focuses available.
Having an active continuous focus comes at the expense of pursuing a regular focus as only one focus can be picked at a time regardless of its type.
As opposed to a regular focus which provides one-time effects, the effects of a continuous focus benefit the nation whilst the chosen focus remains active. An active focus requires a maintenance cost of –1 Political power per day. The focus can,however, be deactivated or switched with another at any time for no additional cost.
|National focus trees|
Base game trees
- Main article: Generic national focus tree
All nations lacking a unique national focus tree use the generic national focus tree instead.
The generic focus tree has 5 main branches:
- Army Effort gives army experience and research bonuses to army research.
- Aviation Effort gives air experience, builds air bases, and research bonuses to air research.
- Naval Effort gives navy experience, builds naval dockyards, and research bonuses to navy research.
- Industrial Effort builds civilian and military factories (usually even if building slots are already full)and grants extra research slots.
- Political Effort gives the country choices on which political path they will take.
Note: The generic focus tree also acts as the default tree for nations which received a unique focus tree in a DLC if said DLC is not enabled.
- Main article: French national focus tree
France, as one of the seven major powers, got a unique national focus tree.
The French national focus tree can be divided into 4 branches:
- Industrial branch
- This branch offers the possibility to develop Metropolitan France and the overseas region, as well as two more research slots.
- Defensive and aggressive branch
- These branches are mutually exclusive. They end with the shard focus Army Reform which removes the starting national spirit Victors of the Great War. (This focus can only be taken after removing Disjointed Government via the government reform branch.)
- Government Reform branch
- This branch consists of various diplomatic focuses and focuses to change the ideology of the government or to strengthen the current democratic government. All possible mutually exclusive branches contain a focus to remove the crippling Disjointed Government national spirit.
- Navy and air force branch
- This branch includes focuses which grant experience and research bonuses to improve in these domains.
- Main article: German national focus tree
Germany, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree.
The German national focus tree can be divided into 6 branches and 3 Sub-branches:
- Four Year Plan Branch
- This branch improves Germany's industry, adds a research slot, build fort lines around Europe and allows the creation of puppets.
- Air Innovations Branch
- This branch improves Germany's Airforce and speeds up creation of nuclear weapons and rockets.
- Army Innovations Branch
- This branch improves Germany's Armed forces and allows for an alliance with the Soviet Union.
- Rhineland Branch
- The Fascist branch allows war with the Soviet Union, friendship with China or Japan. It leads to the Anschluss Sub-branch with more annexation and war options.
- Anschluss Sub-branch
- This sub-branch under the Rhineland branch allows Germany to annex several states, ally or declare war on several countries.
- Naval Rearmament Branch
- This branch improves Germany's Navy and befriends Scandinavian countries and Netherlands.
- Oppose Hitler Branch
- This branch allows Germany to remove Adolf Hitler as leader via civil war and pursue a democratic or non-aligned path. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Return of the Kaiser Sub-branch
- This sub-branch restores Germany's monarchy under Wilhelm II, attack the British and the French, Restore the Italian and Austro-Hungarian Monarchies or be subordinate to the British and fight a Communist France. It also allies with eastern nations in order to fight the communist threat of the Soviet Union. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- The Monarchy Compromise Sub-branch
- This sub-branch creates a type of constitutional monarchy can happen under both Kaisers Wilhelm II and Wilhelm III, creates a faction with Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Finland United States, France and the United Kingdom in order to fight the Soviet Union and Japan and other communist forces. It also adds one more research slot than the regular five slots and gives boosts to nuclear technology. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Main article: Italian national focus tree
Italy, as one of the seven major powers, gets a unique national focus tree.
Italy has an interesting national focus tree with five different branches:
- Ethiopian War Logistics
- A smaller tree which focuses on industrial build up.
- Army Primacy
- Strengthens your army research.
- Mare Nostrum
- The big naval strengthening tree.
- Light Ship Focus
- Destroyer & Submarine benefits.
- Triumph in Africa
- The big political and diplomatic tree, where you have lots of different choices on who to befriend and conquer.
- Main article: Japanese national focus tree
Japan, as one of the seven major powers, got a unique national focus tree.
The Japanese national focus tree can be divided into 7 branches:
- The Unthinkable Option Branch
- The Communist branch and is organized around the idea of establishing a Communist state in Japan with the possibility of either joining the Soviets or forming a faction with the Chinese Communists. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Purge the Kodoha Faction Branch
- The historical Fascist tree, it focuses around the aggressive conquest of China, Indochina, Indonesia and the Philippines and an alliance with Siam.
- National Mobilization Law/ National Defense State Sub-branches
- Two Sub-branches that is used for both the Purge the Kodoha Faction Branch and the Support the Kodoha Faction Branch. It Increases economy law and allows Kamikaze Strikes.
- Support the Kodoha Faction Branch
- The Non-Aligned Branch is focused on building up to a war with the Soviet Union and joining the German Reich's faction.
- Strengthen the Civilian Government Branch
- The Democratic branch starts a civil war with the fascists and installs a Constitutional Monarchy. It also liberates Korea, the Philippines and allows Japan to puppet or annex Dutch East Indies, British Malaya or Indochina. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Army Expansion Law Branch
- This branch expands Japan's army while also giving it the Bicycle Infantry, a unique unit for Japan.
- Fighter Modernization Sub-branch
- This sub-branch expands Japan's Airforce and connects to both the Army and Naval branches.
- New Naval Estimates Branch
- This branch expands Japan's naval research and industry.
- Main article: Polish national focus tree
Poland gets a unique national focus tree as part of a free DLC.
The focus tree can be divided into 5 main branches:
- Central Region Strategy - The Four Year Plan
- This branch offers the possibility to develop the nation's infrastructure and factories as well as enabling up to two additional research slots.
- Prepare For The Next War
- This branch has options to keep pace/modernize the Polish ground forces with/ahead of its neighbors.
- Air Base Expansion
- This branch includes focuses which grants several research bonuses to improve. First focus of the branch instantly expands state Capital's airport capacity (Danzig).
- Develop Polish Ship Building
- This branch includes focuses which grants several research bonuses that could potentially specialize or widen the range of ships available for service soon. Includes research bonus for naval doctrine advancements.
- Strengthen The Polish State
- This branch contains various diplomatic focuses and focuses to change the ideology of the government. This branch has mutually exclusive choices that enables the player to forge an alliance or create one of its own.
- Main article: Soviet national focus tree
Soviet Union, as one of the seven major powers, has an unique national focus tree.
The Soviet focus tree includes four, both historical and alternative, branches:
- Finish the Five Year Plan focuses on development of infrastructure and factories
- Stalin Constitution focuses on manpower and research
- Found the PCDI is the main diplomatic tree that focuses on international relations
- Permanent Revolution / The Great Purge focuses on internal restructuring to unlock the full power of the Soviet Union.
- Main article: British national focus tree
The United Kingdom, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree.
The UK focus tree has 5 main branches to go down through, with various mutually exclusive paths along the way:
- Limited Rearmament branch gives bonuses to military research and builds air bases, factories and naval dockyards in the country.
- Reinforce the Empire branch reinforces and develops the Empire's holdings, gives wargoals, influences nations to lean to democracy, or allows you to hold the Imperial Conference, and if discussions go well with the Dominions, will allow the United Kingdom to unite the Empire through the Imperial Federation.
- Revisit Colonial Policy branch focuses on guiding all of your colonies and dominions to independence, and finally decolonizing the British Empire completely.
- Steady as She Goes branch gives you options to either prepare your homeland for the inevitable war or to abandon Chamberlain's policy of appeasement and tighten your grip against the other major powers.
- A Change in Course branch has 3 main alternate history paths, one to get Edward VIII to rule Great Britain directly with the King's Party, one to get Oswald Mosley and his British Union of Fascists in power with Organize the Blackshirts, and finally to become a Communist state with Concessions to the Trade Unions.
- Main article: American national focus tree
The United States, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree, with historical and ahistorical paths.
- Continue the New Deal follows the historical route with Franklin Roosevelt remaining as President and continuing his New Deal policy, aimed at getting rid of the Great Depression.
- Reestablish the Gold Standard is an ahistorical route, and requires Republican candidate Alf Landon to win the 1936 November elections against Fraklin Roosevelt. In it, Alf Landon would provide alternative strategies in getting rid of the Great Depression.
- Limited Intervention, as one of the Democratic routes, will allow the US to intervene in conflicts much earlier in either the European or Asian theatres, against Germany or Japan respectively.
- Neutrality Act is the historical route and will isolate the USA, but gives options to build its industry and war machine much more as world tension rises.
- America First , which requires Reestablish the Gold Standard, will start the road to Fascism for the USA, giving the government chances to ally with the Silver Shirts, Honor the Confederacy and to Manifest Destiny.
- Suspend the Persecution, which requires Continue the New Deal, is the start of the Communism path, allowing the government to Desegregate the Armed Forces and to ally the USSR.
- War Plans Division will create War Plans for possible target nations, and should a war break out with a respective nation, will allow the USA to get various bonuses against said nation. This path also allows the USA to intervene in any possible wars within the American continent under the Monroe Doctrine.
- War Department opens up the options to build up the Armed Forces, with various mutually exclusive choices in all 3 sections of the military.
Together for Victory trees
|Available only with the Together for Victory DLC enabled.|
- Main article: Australian national focus tree
Australia, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion, Australia utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
Australia's unique focus tree has branches rooted in both history and alt-history:
- Additional Militia Training
- Focuses on providing research bonuses for Land Doctrines, Infantry equipment, Support Companies and Armour.
- Expand the RAAF
- Focuses on improving the Air Force, including research bonuses for aircraft and air doctrines.
- Cockatoo Island Shipyards
- Looks to upgrade the Australian Navy, focusing on ship and naval doctrine bonuses.
- Standard Gauge Railway / Industries Assistance Corporation
- Form a joint tree focusing on improving infrastructure and industrial capacity.
- Establish Advisory War Council
- Acts as a domestic politics tree, providing means to lift the country out of the Great Depression, and additional research slots.
- Support the Policy of Appeasement
- Keeps Australia within the Allies, providing access to Commonwealth technology sharing bonuses.
- Never Another Gallipoli
- Causes Australia to leave the Allies, giving further options to remain a Democracy, or to realign with either Fascist or Communist ideologies.
- Main article: British Raj national focus tree
British Raj, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, got a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion). Without the expansion, the British Raj utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
The British Raj has a unique focus tree with 3 main branches:
- Provincial Elections
- Focuses on gaining independence and modifies the debilitating national spirits of the British Raj.
- Lessons of the Great War
- Focuses on expanding the army, establishes the air force and gives elite infantry divisions.
- Great Indian Peninsula Railway
- Focuses on building infrastructure, naval dockyards, and gives extra research slots.
- Main article: Canadian national focus tree
Canada, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion, Canada utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
Canada's unique focus tree has six main branches:
- Industrial and Internal Politics
- A large, interwoven tree that serves to increase industrial capacity, resource availability and to lift the country out of the Great Depression. This first part of the tree is the most powerful, but most of it is locked behind War Bonds and Defense Regulations, which respectively require war and some world tension. These focuses should be picked as they become available to start the industrial expansion. Another key focus is Commit to War, which is necessary for any conscription law above Volunteer Only and mitigates the Great Depression penalties. Finally, the Canadian player must choose between Send In the Zombies to significantly increase their manpower pool, or National Steel Car to unlock their full industrial potential.
- Army Modernization
- The ground forces branch. Focuses on research bonuses for infantry, armor, artillery and support divisions. Requires Send In the Zombies from the industrial tree for the last focus tiers.
- Strengthen the Commonwealth Ties
- The historical path. Keeps Canada within the Allies, providing bonuses to Commonwealth technology sharing and other buffs to industry and resources.
- Canada severs ties with the United Kingdom, thereby allowing allowing Canada to leave the Allies. The first, democratic branch builds an alliance with the United States; the others are the fascist and communist paths. A notable option in the fascist branch is to bring Mexico over to fascism and mount a two-pronged invasion against the United States.
- RCAF Station Borden
- Provides bonuses to radar, aircraft and air doctrine research.
- Halifax Shipyards
- Focuses on the Canadian Navy, giving bonuses to ship model and naval doctrine research.
- Main article: South African national focus tree
South Africa, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion South Africa utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
South Africa's unique focus tree has six main branches:
- War Measures Act
- South Africa makes war preparations, mustering its industrial capacity as well as constructing strategic defensive forts. The first focus of the branch requires more than 20% world tension OR an authoritarian government. The final focus of the branch, Expand the Cape Corps, removes the recruitment factor penalty imposed by the ‘History of Segregation’ national spirit, bolstering its army reserves available for muster, though it is mutually exclusive with another focus, Outlaw Strikes, which increases industrial output.
- Support the Policy of Appeasement
- The democratic path, this branch reinforces cooperation with the rest of the Commonwealth. Secure Interests in Africa, the final focus, can create Kenya and Zimbabwe as South African puppet states if the United Kingdom agrees to transfer its faraway possessions.
- Support the Afrikaner Broederbond
- The fascist path. This branch opens the possibility to switch to fascism immediately by starting a civil war. The player can go for greater cooperation with Germany, which comes with substantial benefits, or start a faction of its own, with a policy of revanche targeting the United Kingdom. In either case, former British king Edward VIII can be selected as the head of state.
- Empower the Workers
- The communist path. One branch aligns South Africa with the Soviet Union. The other is the most unique of the focus tree, Anti-Colonialist Crusade: South Africa declares war on the colonial powers to liberate all of Africa from their rule.
- Provides bonuses to weapons, artillery and land doctrine research.
- Provides bonuses to aircraft and air doctrine research.
- Focuses on the Navy, giving bonuses to ship models and naval doctrine research.
- Main article: New Zealand national focus tree
New Zealand, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree (part of the Together for Victory expansion). Without the expansion New Zealand utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
New Zealand's unique focus tree has five main branches:
- The First Labour Government
- Acts as the political tree, providing both a means to deal with internal issues, and mutually exclusive branches on whether to remain within the Commonwealth, or to push for Independence as a Democratic, Fascist or Communist country.
- Transfer the New Zealand Division
- Focuses on developing a navy through construction of dockyards and bonuses to ship and naval doctrine research.
- Expand the NZPAF
- Provides bonuses to aircraft and air doctrine research.
- National Roads Board
- Acts as the industrial tree, buffing industrial capacity, resource extraction and research slots.
- Army Reforms
- Focuses on bonuses for Infantry, Armour and Artillery, and construction of military industry capacity.
Death or Dishonor trees
|Available only with the Death or Dishonor DLC enabled.|
- Main article: Czechoslovakian national focus tree
Czechoslovakia, along with three other nations situated between the German Reich and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Czechoslovakia utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
Czechoslovakia's unique focus tree has 7 distinct branches:
- Fortification Studies: This centers around land fortifications needed to successfully defend against German aggression. Note that some foci in this section set the fort level in provinces instead of adding extra forts. Building forts is not advised, as they will be overwritten when a new fort level is set.
- Industrial Legacy: This provides Czechoslovakia with additional factories and industrial bonuses.
- Political Direction: Here Czechoslovakia is given options for steering politics & diplomacy towards one of the major factions or a faction of its own.
- Strategy Decisions: These foci are similar to the political section but provide more interaction on cessions and research sharing.
- Land, Air & Naval Branches: Each section is devoted to one branch of military power and research. Note that the Naval branch cannot be started until Czechoslovakia gains a coastal province
- Main article: Hungarian national focus tree
Hungary, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Hungary utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
The Hungarian national focus tree can be divided into 3 branches and 6 sub-branches:
- Political Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to change its political stance.
- Strengthen the Monarchists Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to elect a Democratic, Fascist, or a Habsburg King and could potentially re-create the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- Strengthen Fascists Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to become Fascist and create Greater Hungary and either join the Axis or create their own faction with Italy.
- Council of People's Commissars Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to become Communist and join the Comintern.
- Industrial Revitalization Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to develop its industry and unlock research slots. One of its sub-branches is connected to the Establish the Air-Force sub-branch.
- Secret Rearmament Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to cast off the Treaty of Trianon and start researching military tech.
- Establish the Air-Force Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows the research and licensing of the Airforce.
- Army Maneuvers Sub-branch
- This sub-branch gives research bonuses for various types of Army equipment.
- Naval Warfare Sub-branch
- This sub-branch deals with the Navy, but requires that Hungary controls a coastal state as they lack one in 1936.
- Main article: Romanian national focus tree
Romania, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Romania utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
The Romanian national focus tree can be divided into 7 branches:
- Preserve Greater Romania Branch
- This Branch allows Romania to join the Comintern, Axis or Allies or create the Cordon Sanitaire with Poland and Czechoslovakia. Unlike other focus trees, the separate ideologies in this tree is not mutually exclusive.
- Industry Sub-branch
- This branch allows Romania to develop its industry. To start this branch, one must start the "Preserve Greater Romania" or the "Balkans Dominance" Branch.
- Balkans Dominance Branch
- This branch allows Romania to puppet, annex, split or declare war with Bulgaria, Greece, Yugoslavia, Turkey, Hungary or Czechoslovakia.
- Institute Royal Dictatorship Branch
- This Branch handles the King and political ideology popularity. the ideologies are not mutually exclusive with each other.
- Expand the Airforce Branch
- This branch allows the research and licensing of the airforce.
- Army Maneuvers Branch
- This branch gives the player free division templates and a general as well as army research.
- Expand the Galati Shipyards Branch
- This branch researches the navy.
- Main article: Yugoslavian national focus tree
Yugoslavia, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Yugoslavia utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
Yugoslavia has a unique focus tree with 5 main branches:
- Western Focus / Recognize the Soviet Union branch is the main political branch and the choice of what path the player wants to take, joining either of the main three factions.
- Industrialization Program branch builds up the country, gives resources and factories, improves infrastructure and gives the option of focusing more on the main Serbian provinces or improving the country equally.
- Modernize the Air Force branch improves the air force and builds military factories for aircraft production. The player can choose between producing their own aircraft or licensing foreign ones from other countries.
- Army Modernization branch expands the army and gives bonuses for army research.
- Expand the Shipyard branch expands the navy to better protect the homeland and gives bonuses for naval research.
Waking the Tiger trees
|Available only with the Waking the Tiger DLC enabled.|
- Main article: Chinese national focus tree
China's unique focus tree has 4 main branches:
- Three Principles of the People
- Focuses on the internal social affairs of the nation and regional political relations.
- Military Affairs Commission
- Focuses on military and fortification reform.
- Unified Industrial Planning
- Focuses on economic and technological build-up of the nation.
- Invite Foreign Investors
- Allows for expansion of foreign investment aimed at increasing Chinese power. This branch is shared with Communist China and Manchukuo.
Chinese minors that destroy or displace the Chinese national government gain access to additional focuses from the national tree, which may be necessary to unlock certain actions in the minor's focus tree or other options (e.g., offering citizenship to Alexander von Falkenhausen in order to recruit him as Chief of Army). Players of Chinese minors should review their own focus tree and that of Nationalist or Communist China when planning their game.
- Main article: Communist Chinese national focus tree
The Communist Chinese national focus tree can be divided into 3 branches:
- Strengthen the Central Secretariat Branch
- This Branch allows Communist China to either befriend the Soviet Union, Struggle against Nationalist China for supremacy, or go an independent path.
- Land Redistribution Branch
- This Branch allows Communist China to increase research slots, increase their popular support, and deal with External Politics.
- The Yan'an Base Area Sub-branch
- This Branch allows Communist China to deal with the Japanese threat, ally and infiltrate China, and increase military power.
- Invite Foreign Investors Branch
- This Branch allows Communist China to ask Major Countries for industrial support.
- Main article: Manchu national focus tree
Manchukuo gets a national focus with the Waking the Tiger expansion. Its "Invite Foreign Investors" branch is shared with China, Communist China and the Chinese Warlords if they change their focus tree.
The Manchu national focus tree can be divided into 2 branches. Their unique branch contains 2 sub-branches:
- Pacify the Countryside Branch
- This is the beginning of Manchukuo's Unique branch.
- Obedience Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows Manchukuo to stay obedient to the Japanese and may become independent without going to war with Japan.
- Assertiveness Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows Manchukuo to declare war against Japan for independence, reclaim the Mandate of Heaven and reform the Qing Empire.
- Invite Foreign Investors Branch
- This Branch allows Manchukuo to ask Major Countries for industrial support.
- Main article: Warlords national focus tree
The Chinese warlords ( Yunnan, Sinkiang, Guangxi, Shanxi, and Xibei San Ma) share a unique national focus tree in the Waking the Tiger DLC. Without the expansion the warlords use the Generic national focus tree instead.
The Warlord national focus tree can be divided into 2 branches and 3 sub-branches:
- Secure Internal Politics Branch
- This branch begins the political focuses for the Warlords.
- Cooperation With the Nationalists sub-branch
- This branch allows the Warlords to side with Nationalist China. This will replace the current focus tree with the Chinese national focus tree.
- Cooperation With the Communists sub-branch
- This branch allows the Warlords to side with Communist China and be able to replace and annex them with Soviet Support. When replacing Communist China, The current focus tree will change into the Communist Chinese national focus tree and all Their national spirits will be yours.
- Opposition sub-branch
- This branch allows the Warlords to instigate Border Clashes with the other Chinas, side with the Japanese and then proclaim a rival government different to Nationalist and Communist China
- Industrial Investment Branch
- This is the Industrial branch of the focus tree.
Man the Guns trees
|Available only with the Man the Guns DLC enabled.|
Mexico received a unique focus tree in Man the Guns. Unlike most other trees, Mexico's domestic and diplomatic options are widely varied - it's possible to implement some socialist measures and ally with the Church, or to become a traditional caudillo but join the Comintern. The many branches are also strongly intertwined, and may affect each other depending on the choices made on other branches.
- Military Budget Review
The main military branch, gives bonuses to equipment research and naval build-up.
- Agricultural Credit Bank
One of the mutually-exclusive economic branches, this one focuses on economic intervention and applying socialist measures to improve the economy.
- Liberalize the Banking Sector
One of the mutually-exclusive economic branches, this one focuses on economic liberalization and applying liberal measures to improve the economy.
- Control the Army/Ban Political Militias
This branch deals with both the military caudillos and the status of the Catholic Church within Mexico.
- Legacy of Revolution
From this branch it's possible to follow on either communist or fascist paths for Mexico, and embark on military adventures.
The Netherlands receive a unique focus tree with the Man the Guns expansion. It's comprised of three main branches:
- Obtain Foreign Colonial Investments
Allows to build civilian and military factories across the Dutch colonial empire, and a special option to move the government to the East Indies should things go badly in the continent.
- Abandon the Gold Standard
This branch opens into two sub-branches: Continue the Public Works allows to build factories in Dutch soil and prepare against foreign invasion, while Overturn Military Budget Cuts gives many bonuses to equipment production.
- Form New Government
This is the main political/diplomatic branch, allowing the Netherlands to remain a pro-British democratic nation, to follow communism (either alone, with France or the Soviet Union), to restore the monarchy's long lost power, to become a pro-German fascist empire or to lay the seeds for an European Union.
The Netherlands begins with five national spirits.
The first is the leader Wilhemina, which grants a small bonus to stability. The second is "Shell-Shocked Spectator" of the War, granting a woeful -50% penalty to manpower. The third is Crisisjaren (years of crisis) , which grants a sharp -50% construction penalty as well as several output penalties. There are a fourth and fifth spirit that penalizes the accumulation of political capital and faction-joining capabilities.
Being a conservative democratic country, the Netherlands has a (+20) relationship with other conservative Democratic countries, such as neighboring Belgium and South Africa, and a (+10) relation with all other democratic nations. The Netherlands has a slightly negative (-10) relationship with everyone else who doesn't share the same ideology. It wields a relatively big colonial empire and holds the East Indies as a puppet.
The Netherlands does not have claims or cores on foreign soil.
This section may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. The last version it was verified as up to date for was 1.3.
The Netherlands has the following political parties:
In the 1939 start date, the popularity of all political parties is the same as the 1936 start date.
This section may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. The last version it was verified as up to date for was 1.3.
The Netherlands can choose from the following Political Advisors:
|Saul de Groot||Communist Revolutionary|| Daily Communism Support: +0.1%
Has completed focus Legacy of the "De Zeven Provincien Mutiny"
|Meinout van Tonningen||Fascist Demagogue|| Daily Fascism Support: +0.1%
Has Completed focus Volk en Vaderland
|William Schermerhorn||Democratic Reformer|| Daily Democracy Support: +0.1%
Has completed focus Unity through Democracy
|Jacob Adriaande Wilke||Genial Anti-Revolutionary|| Political Power Gain: +10% Stability : +5%
Country must be Democratic or Non-Aligned
|Cornelius van Geelkerken||Prince of Terror||Effect of partisans on us: -25%, Foreign subversive activities efficiency: -30% Country must be Fascist||150 pp|
|Willem Schermerhorn||Captain of Industry||Civilian Factory Construction Speed: +10%, Infrastructure Construction Speed: +10%, Refinery Construction Speed: +10%||150 pp|