National focus trees serve as a replacement for the mixture of decisions and triggered events which directed countries in previous iterations of Hearts of Iron.
The focus trees allow the players (and the AI) to direct the development of their nation. Each country has a focus tree, representing a number of progression paths (branches) available to that nation. These paths may be based on actual historical situations or on alternative historical possibilities. The individual options can range from political, diplomatic and warfare-related focuses to more economic and research-related focuses.
Due to the semi-random nature of the AI it ensures that no two games will play out in precisely the same way. Players wishing to have a more historical-based campaign can choose to do so by ticking the Historical AI Focuses option on the country selection screen (map) just before the start of a new game. It is important to note, however, that player nations are not bound by this and as such their in-game actions can still force the AI to pick somewhat less than historical choices.
The seven great powers (and Poland) have a unique national focus tree in the base game. Additional countries - as detailed below - received a unique focus tree as part of different DLCs. All other nations use the generic national focus tree.
|National focus trees (click on a country name to get to its section)|
Mechanic overview[edit | edit source]
This is a community maintained wiki. If you spot a mistake then you are welcome to fix it.
Branches in a focus tree revolve around a common theme or goal with the individual focuses within intended to help in achieving that goal. Although branches are mostly isolated from each other, they will be connected (locally) if they happen to coincide over a common point.
Only a single focus can be taken at a time. A focus requires 70 Political power to complete at a progress rate of –1 Political power per day - this means a focus would usually be completed within 70 days. When completed, the player may go up to 10 days without picking a new focus and still have those days (and their accumulated Political power) count towards the new focus.
Aside from the branches' top level focuses, most other focuses have additional requirements in need of fulfillment before they can be picked. If a requirement of an on-going focus has become invalidated, the focus will either be paused until the requirement is restored (if possible) or outright be cancelled when such a thing is not easily possible. For cases such as the latter, focuses will have bypass conditions to allow the player to proceed past them - the player will be notified of the bypass within a few days (they will display a golden bracket as if completed regularly). For example, Motorization Effort can be bypassed if the Motorized Infantry technology has already been researched beforehand.
Once a focus has started, the player can't manually stop or replace it, unless the player has the Man the Guns expansion. If, due to circumstances, the focus has been invalidated, the resources already spent are lost. As such, it is immensely recommended to check all requirements and conditions regarding a focus to assess if/how they may be affected within its completion time-frame.
Accessing a focus' expanded details can be achieved by clicking or hovering over the focus. Among the information presented there are: the flavor description, its requirements, bypass conditions (if applicable) and the expected completion effects.
Visual indicators[edit | edit source]
- Bracket color - Players can check at a glance a focus' completion status by the background color of its name bracket. Grey bracket means available for picking, brown bracket indicates as of yet unavailability and golden bracket denotes completed focuses. On-going focuses will feature a shining overlay effect over them.
- Connection lines - Focuses are connected by colored lines. The color indicates whether its preceding focus is completed (green) or not (light-blue). The connection may also appear as a solid or dotted line, with the former indicating a logical AND and the latter a logical OR. For example, to pick Special Forces would require all 3 of the focuses preceding it while picking Technology Sharing requires only one of the 2 preceding it.
- Mutually exclusive - Some focuses may have the mutually exclusive icon appearing in-between them. The icon denotes that only one of two may be selected. Further more, depending on the focuses outgoing connections it may also exclude from picking any of the focuses connected to them further down the line. For example, choosing between Collectivist Ethos or Liberty Ethos will make any of the other side's subsequent connected focuses unavailable for picking up until Technology Sharing (linked to both sides by an OR connection).
Continuous focus[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Continuous focus
A continuous focus is a special type of focus that is unlocked once 10 regular focuses have been completed. There are a total of 9 continuous focuses available.
Having an active continuous focus comes at the expense of pursuing a regular focus as only one focus can be picked at a time regardless of its type.
As opposed to a regular focus which provides one-time effects, the effects of a continuous focus benefit the nation whilst the chosen focus remains active. An active focus requires a maintenance cost of –1 Political power per day. The focus can, however, be deactivated or switched with another at any time for no additional cost.
National focus trees[edit | edit source]
Base game trees[edit | edit source]
Generic tree[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Generic national focus tree
All nations lacking a unique national focus tree use the generic national focus tree instead.
The generic focus tree has 5 main branches:
- Army Effort gives army experience and research bonuses to army research.
- Aviation Effort gives air experience, builds air bases, and research bonuses to air research.
- Naval Effort gives navy experience, builds naval dockyards, and research bonuses to navy research.
- Industrial Effort builds civilian and military factories (usually even if building slots are already full), infrastructure and grants extra research slots.
- Political Effort gives the country choices on which political path they will take.
Note: The generic focus tree also acts as the default tree for nations which received a unique focus tree in a DLC if said DLC is not enabled.
France[edit | edit source]
- Main article: French national focus tree
France, as one of the seven major powers, got a unique national focus tree.
The French national focus tree can be divided into 5 branches and 7 sub-branches:
- Devalue the Franc Branch
- This branch offers the possibility to develop Metropolitan France and the overseas colonies, as well as add two more research slots.
- Begin Rearmament Branch
- This branch focuses either on defensive or offensive expansion of the military. The defensive focuses give army and fortification bonuses while the offensive focuses give army and air bonuses. They end with the shared focus Army Reform which removes the starting national spirit Victors of the Great War.
- Form the Popular Front/Revive the National Bloc Branch
- This branch develops French industry. The left side of the branch adds factories to various states, completely removes Inefficient Economy and leads to the communist sub-branch. The right side of the branch develops construction speed, manipulates party popularity, and leads to the fascist and monarchist sub-branch. Both sides lead to the historical democratic sub-branch of the focus tree and Intervention in Spain decisions.
- Invite Communist Ministers Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows France to become Communist, gain manpower and political power. The Reconciliation section gives stability and political power. It leads to the Anti-Fascist coalition section which allies with neighboring or Balkan Communist and Democratic nations and manpower. The Revolution to the Utmost gives war support and a civil war. It leads to the Loyalty to the Cause section which gives war goals against the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and Italy. Both the Reconciliation and the Revolution to the Utmost leads to the Loyalty to Moscow section which allows France to join the Comintern. This section and the Anti-Fascist coalition section leads to a focus that gives war goals against all neighboring Fascist nation.
- Leftist Rhetoric Sub-branch
- This sub-branch is only available if the La Résistance DLC is not enabled. This allows France to become Communist.
- The Blum-Viollette Proposal Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows France to core Algeria, gain non-core manpower and compliance or lose the national spirit Full Employment. Depending on the choice of the colonies, the French Union focus allows France to annex and core its colonies or increase resistance.
- Review Foreign Policy Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows France to either create the Little Entente with Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Romania or Poland, support Finland in their war, join the Allies or create the Stresa Front with the United Kingdom and Italy.
- Utilize the Leagues Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows France to become Fascist, gain claims on various nations and make alliances with other European nations. The Latin Entente section allows France to ally with Spain, Portugal and Italy for French Somaliland, gain claims on Greece and war goals on Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. The Towards a New Europe section allows France to join the Axis, gain claims and war goals on Belgium and Canada. Both sections lead to war goals claims and subjugation on the Middle East.
- The Council of Rambouillet Sub-branch
- This sub-branch restores the French monarchy from either the House of Orléans (Orléaniste), Bourbon (Légitimistes) or Bonaparte (Bonapartiste). The Orléanist section gives war goals against Germany and Italy. The Légitimist section gives an alliance, an annexation or wargoal on Spain. The Bonapartist section gives war goals against United Kingdom, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and the Soviet Union. It also has a focus to split Germany into 7-9 different countries.
- Right Wing Rhetoric Sub-branch
- This sub-branch is only available if the La Résistance DLC is not enabled. This allows France to become Fascist.
- Naval Rearmament Branch
- This branch includes focuses which grant experience and research bonuses that improve the navy.
- Air Focus Branch
- This branch includes focuses which grant experience and research bonuses that improve the air force.
|Available only with the La Résistance DLC enabled.|
If France capitulates to the German Reich, it will be divided into Free France and Vichy France, with both regimes receiving a unique national focus tree as part of the La Résistance expansion. Without the expansion, Free France retains the French national focus tree, whereas Vichy France utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
Free France[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Free French national focus tree
Free France's unique focus tree has 2 main branches:
- Refus Absurde Branch
- This branch focuses on cultivating resistance in the occupied French territories, as well as making it harder for the occupiers to gain compliance.
- Appeal To the French Nation Branch
- This branch focuses on recovering a measure of war capacity and contesting with Vichy France for control over the French overseas territories, so as to lay the groundwork for the ultimate restoration of France.
Vichy France[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Vichy French national focus tree
Vichy France's unique focus tree has 1 single branch:
- Emergency Powers To Petain Branch
- This branch focuses on rebuilding and revitalising a war-torn France with the ultimate objective of reasserting control over all occupied territories, either by collaborating with the German Reich, or by actively fighting against them.
Germany[edit | edit source]
- Main article: German national focus tree
Germany, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree.
The German national focus tree can be divided into 6 branches and 3 Sub-branches:
- Four Year Plan Branch
- This is the economic branch and improves Germany's industry by adding factories, adds a research slot, builds fort lines around Europe in the East and West and also allows Germany to choose between turning Hungary and Romania into puppets or gaining even more factories. At the end of the branch, if Germany is Fascist, it allows them to create a set of Reichskommissariats, which are unique puppets that allow for more effective resource extraction and administration of occupied territories while at war.
- Air Innovations Branch
- This branch improves Germany's air force and speeds up research of nuclear weapons and rockets.
- Army Innovations Branch
- This branch improves Germany's land forces and allows for an alliance with the Soviet Union.
- Rhineland Branch
- The Fascist branch opens up the aggressive expansion across Europe, allowing Germany to go to war with the Soviet Union, and to befriende either China or Japan. It leads to the Anschluss sub-branch with more aggressive expansion and war options.
- Anschluss Sub-branch
- This sub-branch under the Rhineland branch is full-on aggressive expansion, as it allows Germany to annex several states and to ally with or declare war on several countries. Among other things, it leads to the annexation of Austria and Poland, the partitioning of Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Greece and finally war with Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and Switzerland. It also allows Germany to ally with Hungary, Italy and Nationalist Spain. Additionally, the sub-branch also contains the option to befriend Poland and Czechoslovakia instead of just annexing and partitioning them, respectively.
- Naval Rearmament Branch
- This branch improves Germany's navy and befriends the Scandinavian countries of Denmark, Norway and Sweden as well as the Netherlands.
- Oppose Hitler Branch
- This branch allows Germany to remove Adolf Hitler and the NSDAP from power via civil war and restore the Germany Monarchy to pursue a democratic or non-aligned path. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Return of the Kaiser Sub-branch
- This sub-branch restores Germany's monarchy under Wilhelm II, re-creating the German Empire that fell in 1918 and gives war goals against the British and the French, and allows for restoring the Italian and Austro-Hungarian monarchies; Germany can also choose to be subordinate to the British and ally them while fighting against communist France. It also allies with eastern nations in order to crush the communist threat of the Soviet Union in the east. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- The Monarchy Compromise Sub-branch
- This sub-branch creates a constitutional monarchy; it can happen under both Kaisers Wilhelm II and Wilhelm III. It creates a faction with Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Finland in order to crush the Soviet Union and other communist factions (like France and any other country that turns communist through its focus tree). It also adds one more research slot than the regular five slots and gives boosts to nuclear technology. It requires Waking the Tiger.
Italy[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Italian national focus tree
Italy, as one of the seven major powers, gets a unique national focus tree.
As of the No Step Back DLC, Italy's focus tree is the oldest one of its kind, (alongside the Generic National Focus Tree) as it is the last national focus tree that has not been extensively updated, expanded or reworked in any capacity and is almost identical to what it was when the game originally released.
Italy has an interesting national focus tree with five different branches:
- Ethiopian War Logistics
- A smaller tree which focuses on industrial build up.
- Army Primacy
- Strengthens your army research.
- Mare Nostrum
- The big naval strengthening tree.
- Light Ship Effort
- Destroyer & Submarine benefits.
- Triumph in Africa
- The big political and diplomatic tree, where you have lots of different choices on who to befriend and conquer.
Japan[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Japanese national focus tree
Japan, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree.
The Japanese national focus tree can be divided into 7 branches:
- The Unthinkable Option Branch
- The Communist branch is based around the idea of establishing a Communist state in Japan with the possibility of either joining the Soviets or forming a faction with Communist China. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- This is the hardest path in the focus tree, as it causes a civil war to erupt in the country and if the communists win, it will also cause the entire Japanese Navy, all of Japan's colonial possessions ( Korea and Mengkukuo) and most of the generals and field marshals to revert to Manchukuo, which becomes independent.
- Purge the Kodoha Faction Branch
- The historical Fascist tree, it focuses around the aggressive conquest of China, Indochina, the Dutch East Indies, British Malaya and the Philippines and an alliance with Siam. Please do note that this path is also highly likely to lead to a war with the United Kingdom, the United States and France (all at the same time potentially), as it involves attacking their puppets.
- National Mobilization Law/ National Defense State Sub-branches
- Two Sub-branches that is shared by the Purge the Kodoha Faction Branch and the Support the Kodoha Faction Branch. It accelerates economy laws, mobilises more manpower and gives a Research Slot. It also enables Kamikaze Strikes and unlocks a unique type of aircraft; the Suicide Bomb Craft, which are essentially flying human-guided missiles that deal extremely high damage, but both the pilot and the aircraft are lost in the endeavour.
- Support the Kodoha Faction Branch
- The Non-Aligned Monarchist Branch is focused on deposing the fascists and either empowering the Emperor of Japan or restoring the Japanese Shogunate in a modern form. Furthermore, it focuses on preparing for war with the Soviet Union and joining the German Reich's faction. This path notably militarises Manchukuo even further, by giving them Infantry Equipment and Aircraft Research Bonuses and it also creates a Non-Aggression Pact with China, however, it also requires Japan to join the London Naval Treaty, thus restricting their Ship sizes.
- Strengthen the Civilian Government Branch
- The Democratic branch starts a civil war with the fascists and installs a Consitutional Monarchy. It allows Japan either join the Allies or form its own faction; the West Pacific Treaty Organisation. It also makes Japan liberate Korea and Manchukuo but, in exchange, allows Japan to puppet or annex the Philippines, the Dutch East Indies, British Malaya and Indochina. It requires Waking the Tiger.
- Similar to the Communist above, this path will cause a civil war to erupt in the country and will cause Manchukuo to become independent and gain control over Korea and Mengkukuo, however, Japan will retain control of both its navy and army.
- The Manchurian Project Branch
- If Manchukuo is a subject, this branch improves Manchukuo's Stability and War Support, expands their Industry and improves the Infrastructure and also builds forts on the Soviet Border and adds resources and building slots in the interior.
- Army Expansion Law Branch
- This branch improves Japan's army through research bonusees, though it will also unlock Bicycle Infantry, a unique unit for Japan.
- Fighter Modernization Sub-branch
- This sub-branch improves Japan's Airforce through research bonuses and connects to both the Army and Naval branches.
- New Naval Estimates Branch
- This branch improves Japan's naval research and naval industry.
Poland[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Polish national focus tree
The Polish national focus tree can be divided into 10 branches and 9 sub-branches:
- The Four Year Plan Branch
- The industrial branch gives Poland factories, research slots, railways and infrastructure. It also removes and delays the Peasant's Strike penalties.
- Develop Polish Ship Building/ Clamp Down on Danzig Branch
- This allows either the subjugation of Danzig or transfer of industry to Gdynia. It also boosts Poland's naval capacity by building dockyards and giving it naval tech bonuses.
- Prepare For The Next War Branch
- This gives bonuses to army and airforce technologies. It also allows the modification of foreign materiel designers to not require consumer goods factories.
- Plan East/ Plan West Sub-branch
- This allows Poland to prepare for a future invasion from the Soviet Union and/or the German Reich depending of the side of the sub-branch. Until the player has completed one side of the sub-branch, the other side cannot be started.
- Complete the April Constitution Branch
- The historical branch forces Poland balance between the Sanation Left, Sanation Right factions in the government with the risk of a civil war.
- The Sanation Left Sub-branch
- The upper part of the sub-branch gives concessions to the Sanation Left faction whilst making the Sanation Right side unhappy. The middle focus aligns Poland to the Sanation Left, thus removing the possibility of chosing other Sanation Right or the Castle focuses. The lower focuses allows the creation of a Baltic Alliance and allows for a Democratic Poland.
- The Sanation Right Sub-branch
- The upper part of the sub-branch gives concessions to the Sanation Right faction whilst making the Sanation Left side unhappy. The middle focus aligns Poland to the Sanation Right, thus removing the possibility of chosing other Sanation Left or the Castle focuses. The lower focuses allows the creation of a Baltic Alliance and allows for a Fascist Poland.
- The Castle Sub-branch
- The upper part of the sub-branch appeases both the Sanation Left and Sanation Right and keeping non-aligned support. The middle focus keeps the Castle as head of the government, thus removing the possibility of chosing other Sanation Left or the Sanation Right focuses. The lower part of the sub-branch is allowed to be selected if the other Sanation factions are chosen. It allows Poland to align with the Allies and asks or demands alignment from Lithuania or Romania
- Restore the Sejm Branch
- This branch allows Poland to choose either Democratic, Fascist or Communist ideologies. It is only available if the DLC No Step Back is disabled.
- Organize the Peasant's Strike Branch
- This allows Poland to side with the Peasant Revolt and either go Democratic or Communist after a civil war. The Communist path gives Poland the choice to align with the Soviet Union or go independent. If Poland chooses to go Democratic, it has the choice to join the Allies or form a new faction with France. It also allows Poland to gain colonial holdings in Liberia or Madagascar.
- Assemble the Regency Council Branch
- This branch allows Poland to form a Monarchy and elect a King.
- The Habsburg Sub-branch
- This elects Karl Albrecht I as King of Poland and allowing him to become a field marshal. It creates a Personal Union with Czechoslovakia with the possibility of annexation and coring. It installs Otto von Habsburg as King of Hungary giving Poland a choice to make an alliance. It also gives cores and a war goal to several German states.
- The Hohenzollern/ The Commonwealth Claimant Sub-branch
- This elects either Michał II of Romania or Friedrich Christian as King of Poland. The Hohenzollern side allows Poland to create a Personal Union with Romania and Hungary with the possibility of creating the Kingdom of Poland-Romania. The Commonwealth side mirrors several focuses from the Lithuanian national focus tree and allows Poland to form the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
- The Romanov Sub-branch
- This secret sub-branch is only available if the player elects "Anastasia Romanov" as King of Poland through events. It gives war goals against the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia. It also allows the creation of the Slavic Union formable nation.
- The Cossack-King Sub-branch
- This elects Pavel Bermondt-Avalov as King of Poland, allows him to become a field marshal and switches the ruling party to Fascism. It gives war goals for the Baltic and Slovakian States and gives the player the choice between getting claims on and going to war with Germany or becoming its Reichsprotectorate for claims on the Soviet Union. Completing "Complete the Bermontian Mission" focus allows the creation of the Don Host and the Kuban Host as independent nations or puppets of Poland.
- A Nationalist Constitution Branch
- The Fascist branch allows Poland to become a Reichsprotectorate of Germany and give them land for a chance to gain territory in a future war with the Soviet Union and it may allow Poland to declare a war for independence. Part of this side is shared with the Cossack-King Sub-branch. The player may also chose for Poland to be independent of Germany and make its own faction with other Falangist nations.
- The Between The Seas Concept Branch
- The Międzymorze branch of the tree allows Poland to ally Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Greece or Turkey, and Italy.
- Prepare for the Inevitable Branch
- These focuses allow Poland to continue the war effort even if it has capitulated with off map factories and manpower increases. It is available if the Man the Guns DLC is enabled.
- Expand Polish Intelligence Sub-branch
- These focuses allow the expansion of the Polish intelligence agency. It is available if the La Résistance DLC is enabled. If the Man the Guns DLC is disabled, this sub-branch is still available as a separate branch.
Soviet Union[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Soviet national focus tree
Soviet Union, as one of the seven major powers, has a unique national focus tree.
United Kingdom[edit | edit source]
- Main article: British national focus tree
The British national focus tree can be divided into 5 main branches and 6 distinct sub-branches:
- Cryptologic Bomb/Limited Rearmament Branch
- This branch gives technology research bonuses, factories and an extra research slot.
- General Rearmament Sub-branch
- This sub-branch gives air and naval research bonuses along with providing a collection of air bases and dockyards.
- Reinforce the Empire Branch
- This branch is centered around the industrial development of the colonies and the fortification of key territories, with the ultimate end goal of creating an Imperial Federation, which will have the United Kingdom annex all the colonies and gain cores on their territories.
- Encourage Colonial Elite Sub-branch
- The "Fortify East Asia" side of the sub-branch focuses on developing in Asian colonies, influencing China and gaining a war goal against Japan. The "Commonwealth Ties" side focuses on developing the Dominions, Autonomy or Independence for the British Raj and forming the Imperial Federation.
- Mediterranean Bastion Sub-branch
- This Sub-branch focuses on the development of the Mediterranean colonies, coercion of Balkan countries and Turkey, and gaining a war goal against Italy.
- Steady As She Goes Branch
- The Democratic branch of the Focus tree. The UK will stay democratic and maintain the current government structure.
- Home Defense Sub-branch
- This Democratic sub-branch focuses on intervening against (and puppeting) the Scandinavian and Benelux countries, securing Iraq and Iran, and eventually war with the Soviet Union and Germany.
|Available only with the Man the Guns DLC enabled.|
- Revisit Colonial Policy Branch
- This Branch focuses on decolonization, which effectively amounts to dismantling the British Empire, with some colonial territory kept as puppets, in exchange for getting more manpower and industry in the British homelands, and allowing the UK to concentrate on dealing with European affairs.
- Global Defense Sub-branch
- This Democratic sub-branch under the Steady As She Goes Branch focuses on placing Winston Churchill into power early, ending appeasement, eradicating pacifism and mobilizing the country for war followed by gaining war goals against countries with oil, Major European countries who caused World tension, and allowing justification against other Democratic countries.
- A Change in Course Branch
- This branch focuses on changing the government structure of the UK by switching the ideology of the government to Monarchist, Fascist or Communist.
- The Monarchist path focuses on setting up King Edward VIII as an absolute monarch, allying with Germany and gaining war goals against Italy and the Soviet Union. This path also allows the United Kingdom to gain a war goal against the United States to reinstate British rule by installing an American monarchy.
- The Fascist section focuses on securing alliances with other European fascist nations against Germany. The "God Save The King" section is shared with the Monarchist path and focuses on retaking the Dominions after they gain independence and gaining a war goal to annex the United States.
- Concessions to the Trade Unions Sub-branch
- The Communist sub-branch will cause the United Kingdom to become communist and opens up the choice between allying with the Soviet Union or forming a new faction and then moving on to turn other European nations to communism, with the end goal of going to war with Germany and the United States and installing puppet regimes in each. It also forces the United Kingdom to take the decolonization focus and complete it within 2 years of becoming communist as otherwise a civil war will break out.
United States[edit | edit source]
- Main article: American national focus tree
The American national focus tree can be divided into 4 branches and 3 Sub-Branches:
- Continue the New Deal/ Reestablish the Gold Standard Branch
- This branch allows the United States to begin removing the effects of the Great Depression in one of two ways, increase research, change political leanings or increase production.
- The national focuses in the center of the branch are all Democratic and thus broadly historical, but on either edge of the branch (gated behind the national focuses "Suspend the Persecution" and "America First", respectively, lie the Communist and Fascist branches of the national focus tree, both of which will cause a civil war if progressed through.
- The centre branch diverges into two sub-branches; Limited Intervention and Neutrality Act.
- Limited Intervention allows the United States to intervene in the approaching war in Europe or Asia earlier that historical by allowing them to send volunteers, guarantee independence and provide lend-lease at less World Tension in addition to improving espionage and eventually even permitting military action by enabling a set decisions for that, but this is not supported by either the House of Representatives or Senate (increasing opposition in both) and will make it harder to mobilise the economy.
- Neutrality Act does the opposite; It restricts the country's foreign policy by preventing the United States from intervening in either Europe of Asia and causes the country to turn inwards. However, this inwards turn allows the United States to adress the Great Depression more effectively and enables the US to begin building up its economy and mobilising itself more gradually and more effectively, which would allow them to be stronger and more prepared for when the time to go to war invariably comes. This is the historical path.
- The Communist branch requires the national focus Continue the New Deal and the Fascist branch requires the national focus Reestablish the Gold Standard. Both are mutually exclusive.
- Suspend the Persecution Sub-branch
- This is the Communist sub-branch. It focuses on gradually changing the political party to communism and implementing various socialist policies to dismantle capitalism to form the Communist States of America. It then continues onwards to allying with other communist nations (either the Soviet Union or Communist China) and finally leads to forcefully demanding the decolonisation of the Pacific and declaring war on the european nations to end monarchism and shatter the colonial empires.
- Taking either the Full Desegregation or Union Representation Act national focuses will lead to a civil war. It requires Man the Guns.
- America First Sub-branch
- This is the Fascist sub-branch. It focuses on gradually changing the ideology to fascism by allying with the Silver Legion of America led by William Dudley Pelley and Charles Lindbergh, having them recruit the German-American Bund and the Free Corps and acquiring foreign aid from other fascist powers to ultimately inaugurate the Confederated States of America, thus allowing Pelley to seize power and install himself as "Chief" (an american equipvalent to "Führer" and "Il Duce") of America, dismantling democracy in the process.
- From there, the path becomes extremely aggressive, as the War Powers Act opens up a set of national focuses that focus annexing Cuba, subjugating Mexico and annexing British Columbia from Canada to create a land connection to Alaska. After that, the path of aggression escalates ever further, beginning with the subjugation of the entire American continent, demands for subordination to Pacific countries (or their overlords) before culminating in the aptly named national focus Global Hegemony which tops it all off with War Goals against all major powers, with the intent to turn them into puppet states and achieve World Domination.
- Taking either the Voter Registration Act or Ally With the Silver Shirts national focuses will lead to a civil war. It requires Man the Guns.
- War Plans Division Branch
- This Branch improves planning speed and enables United States to take decisions that give attack and defense bonuses against all major countries and certain others as well, though it does not give War Goals (but those can be cained from the War Powers Act sub-branch under the fascist branch). It will also allow the United States to form a faction and invite democratic Latin American countries into it in addition to building coastal forts and naval bases in the Pacific.
- War Department Branch
- This Branch is a combined Army and Air Force Branch. It gives army and air technology research boosts as well as various production cost discounts to tanks and airplanes. It also allows the United States to increase it conscription law to Limited Conscription if it is below that and also adds 2% more recruitable manpower.
- Two Ocean Navy Act Sub-branch
- This Branch is the Navy Branch. It adds 10 Naval Dockyards to California and New York (5 each) and gives naval technology research boosts and production cost discounts to nearly every ship class except for submarines.
Together for Victory trees[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Together for Victory DLC enabled.|
Australia[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Australian national focus tree
Australia, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion, Australia utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
The Australian national focus tree can be divided into 7 branches:
- Additional Militia Training Branch
- Focuses on providing research bonuses for Land Doctrines, Infantry equipment, Support Companies and Armour.
- Expand the RAAF Branch
- Focuses on improving the Air Force, including research bonuses for aircraft and air doctrines.
- Cockatoo Island Shipyards Branch
- Looks to upgrade the Australian Navy, focusing on ship and naval doctrine bonuses.
- Standard Gauge Railway/ Industries Assistance Corporation Branch
- Form a joint tree focusing on improving infrastructure and industrial capacity.
- Establish Advisory War Council Branch
- Acts as a domestic politics tree, providing means to lift the country out of the Great Depression, and additional research slots.
- Support the Policy of Appeasement Branch
- Keeps Australia within the Allies, providing access to Commonwealth technology sharing bonuses.
- Never Another Gallipoli Branch
- Causes Australia to leave the Allies, giving further options to remain a Democracy, or to realign with either Fascist or Communist ideologies.
British Raj[edit | edit source]
- Main article: British Raj national focus tree
British Raj, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion, the British Raj utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
The British Raj has a unique focus tree with 3 main branches:
- Provincial Elections branch
- Focuses on gaining independence and modifies the debilitating national spirits of the British Raj.
- Lessons of the Great War branch
- Focuses on expanding the army, establishes the air force and gives elite infantry divisions.
- Great Indian Peninsula Railway branch
- Focuses on building infrastructure, naval dockyards, and gives extra research slots.
Canada[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Canadian national focus tree
Canada, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion, Canada utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
Canada's unique focus tree has six main branches:
- Industrial and Internal Politics
- A large, interwoven tree that serves to increase industrial capacity, resource availability and to lift the country out of the Great Depression. This first part of the tree is the most powerful, but most of it is locked behind War Bonds and Defense Regulations, which respectively require war and some world tension. These focuses should be picked as they become available to start the industrial expansion. Another key focus is Commit to War, which is necessary for any conscription law above Volunteer Only and mitigates the Great Depression penalties. Finally, the Canadian player must choose between Send In the Zombies to significantly increase their manpower pool, or National Steel Car to unlock their full industrial potential.
- Army Modernization
- The ground forces branch. Focuses on research bonuses for infantry, armor, artillery and support divisions. Requires Send In the Zombies from the industrial tree for the last focus tiers.
- Strengthen the Commonwealth Ties
- The historical path. Keeps Canada within the Allies, providing bonuses to Commonwealth technology sharing and other buffs to industry and resources.
- Canada severs ties with the United Kingdom, thereby allowing allowing Canada to leave the Allies. The first, democratic branch builds an alliance with the United States; the others are the fascist and communist paths. A notable option in the fascist branch is to bring Mexico over to fascism and mount a two-pronged invasion against the United States.
- RCAF Station Borden
- Provides bonuses to radar, aircraft and air doctrine research.
- Halifax Shipyards
- Focuses on the Canadian Navy, giving bonuses to ship model and naval doctrine research.
New Zealand[edit | edit source]
- Main article: New Zealand national focus tree
New Zealand, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree (part of the Together for Victory expansion). Without the expansion New Zealand utilizes the Generic national focus tree.
New Zealand's unique focus tree has five main branches:
- The First Labour Government
- Acts as the political tree, providing both a means to deal with internal issues, and mutually exclusive branches on whether to remain within the Commonwealth, or to push for Independence as a Democratic, Fascist or Communist country.
- Transfer the New Zealand Division
- Focuses on developing a navy through construction of dockyards and bonuses to ship and naval doctrine research.
- Expand the NZPAF
- Provides bonuses to aircraft and air doctrine research.
- National Roads Board
- Acts as the industrial tree, buffing industrial capacity, resource extraction and research slots.
- Army Reforms
- Focuses on bonuses for Infantry, Armour and Artillery, and construction of military industry capacity.
South Africa[edit | edit source]
- Main article: South African national focus tree
South Africa, along with other nations of the British commonwealth, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Together for Victory expansion. Without the expansion it utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
South Africa's unique focus tree has 6 main branches and 2 sub-branches:
- War Measures Act/Support the Policy of Appeasement branch
- This branch focuses on war preparations, mustering South Africa's industrial capacity as well as constructing strategic defensive forts. The other half of the branch reinforces cooperation with the rest of the Commonwealth.
- Abandon Westminster branch
- This branch focuses on independence from the Commonwealth, with a choice of becoming either a Fascist or Communist country.
- Support the Afrikaner Broederbond sub-branch
- The Fascist sub-branch. This branch opens the possibility to switch to fascism by starting a civil war. The player can go for greater cooperation with the German Reich, which comes with substantial benefits, or start a faction of its own, with a policy of revanchism targeting the United Kingdom. In either case, former British king Edward VIII can be selected as the head of state.
- Empower the Workers sub-branch
- The Communist sub-branch. One path aligns South Africa with the Soviet Union. The other is the most unique of the focus tree, Anti-Colonialist Crusade: South Africa declares war on the colonial powers to liberate Africa from their rule.
- South African Railways branch
- This branch focuses on improving infrastructure, expanding industrial capacity, and providing additional research slots.
- Special Service Battalion branch
- This branch provides bonuses to weapons, artillery and land doctrine research.
- Commit to the Five-Year Plan branch
- This branch provides bonuses to aircraft and air doctrine research.
- Seaward Defense Force branch
- This branch focuses on the navy, giving bonuses to ship models and naval doctrine research.
Death or Dishonor trees[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Death or Dishonor DLC enabled.|
Czechoslovakia[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Czechoslovakian national focus tree
Czechoslovakia, along with three other nations situated between the German Reich and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Czechoslovakia utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
Czechoslovakia's unique focus tree has 7 distinct branches:
- Fortification Studies branch
- This centers around land fortifications needed to successfully defend against German aggression. Note that some foci in this section set the fort level in provinces instead of adding extra forts. Building forts is not advised, as they will be overwritten when a new fort level is set.
- Industrial Legacy branch
- This provides Czechoslovakia with additional factories and industrial bonuses.
- Political Direction branch
- Here Czechoslovakia is given options for steering politics & diplomacy towards one of the major factions or a faction of its own.
- Strategic Decisions branch
- These foci are similar to the political section but provide more interaction on cessions and research sharing.
- Military Technical Institute branch
- This branch is devoted to army technology.
- Military Aeronautical Institute branch
- This branch is devoted to the air force.
- Access to the Sea branch
- This branch is devoted to the navy. Note that this branch cannot be started until Czechoslovakia gains a coastal province.
Hungary[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Hungarian national focus tree
The Kingdom of Hungary, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Hungary utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
The Hungarian national focus tree can be divided into 3 branches and 6 sub-branches:
- Balanced Budget/Economic Intervention Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to change its political stance.
- Strengthen the Monarchists Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to end the regency and elect either a Democratic king (Carl V Wilhelm of Sweden), a Fascist king (Friedrich Franz of Mecklenburg-Schwerin of Germany), or a Non-Aligned Habsburg king (Otto von Habsburg of Austria) as their ruler.
- The Democratic king means closer ties with Sweden and either joining the United Kingdom and the Allies or allying with Romania.
- The Fascist king means aligning more with Germany and the Axis and striving to create a Greater Hungary. This sub-branch joins the Strengthen Fascists Sub-branch.
- The Non-Aligned Habsburg king is the most unusual, as it involves starting an endeavour to rebuild the fallen Austro-Hungarian Empire by reuniting with Austria and Czechoslovakia (and there fore opposing and resisting German designs for said countries) and generating claims on lost lands in Yugoslavia, Romania, Poland and northern Italy. The end of the sub-branch awards even more claims on territories in Germany, France and central Italy.
- Strengthen Fascists Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to become Fascist and create a Greater Hungary and either join the Axis or create their own faction with Italy.
- Council of People's Commissars Sub-branch
- This branch allows Hungary to become Communist and join the Soviet Union and the Comintern.
- Industrial Revitalization Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to develop its industry and unlock research slots. One of its sub-branches is connected to the Establish the Air-Force sub-branch.
- Secret Rearmament Branch
- This branch allows Hungary to cast off the Treaty of Trianon and start researching military tech.
- Establish the Air-Force Sub-branch
- This sub-branch allows the research and licensing of the Airforce.
- Army Maneuvers Sub-branch
- This sub-branch gives research bonuses for various types of Army equipment.
- Naval Warfare Sub-branch
- This sub-branch deals with the Navy but requires that Hungary controls a coastal state as they lack one in 1936.
Romania[edit | edit source]
This is a community maintained wiki. If you spot a mistake then you are welcome to fix it.
- Main article: Romanian national focus tree
Romania, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Romania utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
The Romanian national focus tree can be divided into 7 branches:
- Preserve Greater Romania Branch
- This Branch allows Romania to join the Comintern, Axis or Allies or create the Cordon Sanitaire with Poland and Czechoslovakia. Unlike other focus trees, the separate ideologies in this tree are not mutually exclusive.
- Civil Works/ National Defense Industry Sub-branch
- This branch allows Romania to develop its industry. To start this branch, one must start the "Preserve Greater Romania" or the "Balkans Dominance" Branch.
- Balkans Dominance Branch
- This branch allows Romania to puppet, annex, split or declare war with Bulgaria, Greece, Yugoslavia, Turkey, Hungary or Czechoslovakia.
- Institute Royal Dictatorship Branch
- This Branch handles the King and political ideology popularity. the ideologies are not mutually exclusive with each other.
- Expand the Airforce Branch
- This branch allows the research and licensing of the airforce.
- Army Maneuvers Branch
- This branch gives the player free division templates and a general as well as army research.
- Expand the Galati Shipyards Branch
- This branch researches the navy.
Yugoslavia[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Yugoslavian national focus tree
Yugoslavia, along with three other nations situated between Germany and the Soviet Union, gets a unique national focus tree as part of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Without the expansion, Yugoslavia utilizes the Generic national focus tree instead.
Yugoslavia's unique focus tree has 6 main branches:
- Western Focus branch
- Allows the player to choose between increased centralization or increased autonomy for Yugoslavia's constituent states, and also to choose between remaining non-aligned, joining the Allies or joining the Axis.
- Recognize the Soviet Union branch
- Allows Yugoslavia to become communist, after which the player can choose between joining the Comintern or creating an independent faction for other Balkan countries to join.
- Industrialization Program branch
- Builds up the country, gives resources and factories, improves infrastructure and gives the option of focusing more on the main Serbian provinces or improving the country equally.
- Modernize the Air Force branch
- Improves the air force and builds military factories for aircraft production. The player can choose between producing their own aircraft or licensing foreign ones from other countries.
- Army Modernization branch
- Expands the army and gives bonuses for army research.
- Expand the Shipyards branch
- Expands the navy to better protect the homeland and gives bonuses for naval research.
References[edit | edit source]