No Step Back
No Step Back is the 4th expansion for Hearts of Iron IV. It was revealed during PDXCon 2021 on 2021-05-21 and was released on 2021-11-23. The expansion coincides with patch 1.11 (aka "Barbarossa").
One of the hardest fighting during the Second World War was the Eastern Front in Europe.
No Step Back adds greater detail for many nations in Eastern Europe, unique game systems to reflect Soviet politics, and many improvements to the military aspect of the game.
- New Soviet National Focuses.
- New Polish National Focuses.
- New Baltic National Focuses: Shared alternate history paths for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, as well as unique paths for each.
- Army Officer Corps: Build a general staff, drawing on the talents and expertise of available officers to take advantage of changes in technology and tactics.
- Army Spirits: Emphasize certain characteristics of your military arms, adding general bonuses to certain units types or even aiding division design.
- Supply System Updates: Scorched Earth tactics, floating harbors and special supply units added to the logistics system.
- Tank Designer: Design your own armored force using modules prioritizing speed, gun power, armor or even production cost.
- Railway Guns: Commission the grandest, most prestigious of artillery pieces, uniquely designed to deal with entrenched foes, and fortified positions.
- Scorched Earth: Burn and ruin the land as the enemy marches on it to slow them down and give debuffs.
- Main article: Developer diaries
All developer diaries about the No Step Back expansion and patch 1.11 (aka Barbarossa).
- Patch 1.11 (Barbarossa)
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||Early look at supply and the coming year||An early look at the new supply/war system||2021-04-07|
|2||Poland Focus Tree Rework Part 1/2||Introduction of the reworked Polish focus tree coming with the free update||2021-04-14|
|3||Poland Focus Tree Rework Part 2/2||Look at the changes to the Polish tree in the upcoming DLC||2021-04-21|
|4||Tank Designer||Look at the changes coming to tank design with the upcoming DLC||2021-04-28|
|5||Combat and Stats changes||A look at changes coming to combat||2021-05-05|
|6||The Baltic States 1/2 and Poland 3/2||A first look at changes coming to the Baltic states, and more on Poland||2021-05-12|
|7||The Baltic States 2/2||More changes coming to the Baltic states||2021-05-19|
|8||PdxCon Recap and Team update||Recap of PdxCon announcements and some statistics updates||2021-05-26|
|9||PDXCON - HoI Q&A Panel Transcript||PdxCon Q&A with the devs||2021-05-27|
|10||Bag of Tricks #1||Small features and QoL improvements to the game||2021-06-09|
|11||Officer Corps||New Officer Corps system and changes to Experience||2021-06-16|
|12||Officer Corps #2||More information about the Officer Corps||2021-06-23|
|13||Supply and Mulberry Harbors||Deeper look at the new supply system||2021-06-30|
|14||Soviet Union Historical and Common Branches||A look at the historical and shared parts of the new Soviet Focus Tree and new mechanics for the Soviet Union||2021-08-04|
|15||Soviet Union Opposition||New focus branches for the communist opposition against Stalin||2021-08-11|
|16||Soviet Union Exiles||New focus branches for the return of the Whites or the Tsar||2021-08-18|
|17||Bag of Tricks #2||Changes to weather, QoL changes concerning equipment and building in allied territories / Departure of Game Director Dan "Podcat" Lind||2021-08-25|
|18||Traiiiiins||A further look at trains, air missions to attack them, and supply distribution||2021-09-01|
|19||Railway guns never tire||New Railway Gun Land Unit Type||2021-09-08|
|20||Bag of Tricks : the Sequel||Changes to Redeployment, Scorched Earth, and General Preferred Tactics||2021-09-15|
|21||Combat Changes & Soviet Exiles||Changes to Combat and Soviet Exiles focus branch||2021-09-29|
|22||Poland is not yet lost - No step back AAR||Recap of CraniumMuppet's experience with Poland in the new update||2021-10-06|
|22.5||Sub-Developer-Diary - Combat targeting iteration||Further balancing and changes to targeting||2021-10-06|
|23||Officer Corps Recap & AI Improvements||Recap of Officer Corps changes and introduction of AI improvements||2021-10-13|
|24||Modding Changes||Introduction of the character system, modability of NSB features||2021-10-20|
|25||Loading Screen Art and more||Process of creating new loading screens, A look at some portraits and achievements of NSB||2021-10-27|
|25.5||Extra Treats - Railways!||Overview of the railway map in NSB||2021-10-29|
|26||A Tech Lead's Life||Tech support changes and a new French Communist leader||2021-11-03|
|27||No Step Back Achievements||New achievements for No Step Back||2021-11-10|
|27.5||Bonus Diary: No Step Back Formable & New Tags||A look at the new tags and formables coming with NSB||2021-11-12|