Command power represents the ability of the government to bypass the chain of command and directly influence the military. Command power is capped at 100, however, both the growth and the cap can be increased by Doctrines and National Spirits. Command power is limited to promotion of Field Marshals unless you have the Waking the Tiger DLC.
Command power is used for promoting generals, taking certain military related decisions, managing air supply, assigning traits to generals who qualify, and using special abilities to affect divisions. Note that in the case of military operations, command power can be spent on one-time operations or it can be allocated for continuous operations. Cost is based upon the total number of battalions in your army for which you activate a command ability.
Most of the command power abilities are unlocked by traits and apply to divisions under the general. These cost command power to trigger and run for a limited duration, giving bonuses or other effects such as offering up unique tactics.
Here is a breakdown of the abilities unlocked by generals' traits:
- Force Attack - Units gain attack bonuses and take no organization damage while attacking, but take increased strength damage. They are also unable to retreat from attacks when this is active. As the active units take damage this will also hurt your nation’s war support. All Generals start with this ability.
- Last Stand - Similar to Force Attack but when on defense. Use it if you must absolutely hold somewhere no matter what while attacking elsewhere. Be aware that this action will most likely result in complete destruction of the unit. There is also some national flavor version of these for China and Japan. All Generals start with this ability.
- Probing Attack - Divisions can launch attacks without losing entrenchment, but have a penalty to attack while doing so. This ability is enabled by getting the Skirmisher General trait.
- Staff Office Plan - Increases planning speed for the cases when you need to finish and launch a new plan quickly. All Generals and Field Marshals start with this ability.
- Siege Artillery - Combat bonus vs fortifications and also increases damage to the fortifications themselves substantially. This ability is enabled by getting the Fortress Buster General trait.
- Glider Planes - Used in combination with paratroopers, they let you drop more paratroopers per transport plane and give them a boost to organization and defense towards enemy AA. This ability is enabled by getting the Paratroopers General trait.
- Makeshift bridges - Gives a substantial reduction to the river crossing penalty. This ability is enabled by getting the Improvisation Expert General trait.
- Extra supplies - Increases the time troops can be without supplies before suffering penalties. This ability is enabled by getting the Logistics Wizard Field Marshal trait.
- Naval Assault Plan - Cuts down the time needed to complete preparations for naval invasions. This ability is enabled by getting the Amphibious General trait.
Here is a listing of "other" command power military operations: