No Step Back
No Step Back is the 6th expansion for Hearts of Iron IV. It was revealed during PDXCon 2021 on 2021-05-21 and was released on 2021-11-23. The expansion coincides with patch 1.11 (aka "Barbarossa").
Expansion features[edit | edit source]
One of the hardest fighting during the Second World War was the Eastern Front in Europe.
No Step Back adds greater detail for many nations in Eastern Europe, unique game systems to reflect Soviet politics, and many improvements to the military aspect of the game.
- New Soviet National Focuses.
- New Polish National Focuses.
- New Baltic National Focuses: Shared alternate history paths for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, as well as unique paths for each.
- Army Officer Corps: Build a general staff, drawing on the talents and expertise of available officers to take advantage of changes in technology and tactics.
- Army Spirits: Emphasize certain characteristics of your military arms, adding general bonuses to certain units types or even aiding division design.
- Supply System Updates: Scorched Earth tactics, floating harbors and special supply units added to the logistics system.
- Tank Designer: Design your own armored force using modules prioritizing speed, gun power, armor or even production cost.
- Railway Guns: Commission the grandest, most prestigious of artillery pieces, uniquely designed to deal with entrenched foes, and fortified positions.
- Scorched Earth: Burn and ruin the land as the enemy marches on it to slow them down and give debuffs.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Cinematic trailers[edit | edit source]
Video diaries[edit | edit source]
Tutorials[edit | edit source]
Developer diaries[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Developer diaries
All developer diaries about the No Step Back expansion and patch 1.11 (aka Barbarossa).
- Patch 1.11 (Barbarossa)
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|28||Patch Notes!||1.11 Patch Notes||2021-11-17|
|27.5||Bonus Diary: No Step Back Formable & New Tags||A look at the new tags and formables coming with NSB||2021-11-12|
|27||No Step Back Achievements||New achievements for No Step Back||2021-11-10|
|26||A Tech Lead's Life||Tech support changes and a new French Communist leader||2021-11-03|
|25.5||Extra Treats - Railways!||Overview of the railway map in NSB||2021-10-29|
|25||Loading Screen Art and more||Process of creating new loading screens, A look at some portraits and achievements of NSB||2021-10-27|
|24||Modding Changes||Introduction of the character system, modability of NSB features||2021-10-20|
|23||Officer Corps Recap & AI Improvements||Recap of Officer Corps changes and introduction of AI improvements||2021-10-13|
|22.5||Sub-Developer-Diary - Combat targeting iteration||Further balancing and changes to targeting||2021-10-06|
|22||Poland is not yet lost - No step back AAR||Recap of CraniumMuppet's experience with Poland in the new update||2021-10-06|
|21||Combat Changes & Soviet Exiles||Changes to Combat and Soviet Exiles focus branch||2021-09-29|
|20||Bag of Tricks : the Sequel||Changes to Redeployment, Scorched Earth, and General Preferred Tactics||2021-09-15|
|19||Railway guns never tire||New Railway Gun Land Unit Type||2021-09-08|
|18||Traiiiiins||A further look at trains, air missions to attack them, and supply distribution||2021-09-01|
|17||Bag of Tricks #2||Changes to weather, QoL changes concerning equipment and building in allied territories / Departure of Game Director Dan "Podcat" Lind||2021-08-25|
|16||Soviet Union Exiles||New focus branches for the return of the Whites or the Tsar||2021-08-18|
|15||Soviet Union Opposition||New focus branches for the communist opposition against Stalin||2021-08-11|
|14||Soviet Union Historical and Common Branches||A look at the historical and shared parts of the new Soviet Focus Tree and new mechanics for the Soviet Union||2021-08-04|
|13||Supply and Mulberry Harbors||Deeper look at the new supply system||2021-06-30|
|12||Officer Corps #2||More information about the Officer Corps||2021-06-23|
|11||Officer Corps||New Officer Corps system and changes to Experience||2021-06-16|
|10||Bag of Tricks #1||Small features and QoL improvements to the game||2021-06-09|
|9||PDXCON - HoI Q&A Panel Transcript||PdxCon Q&A with the devs||2021-05-27|
|8||PdxCon Recap and Team update||Recap of PdxCon announcements and some statistics updates||2021-05-26|
|7||The Baltic States 2/2||More changes coming to the Baltic states||2021-05-19|
|6||The Baltic States 1/2 and Poland 3/2||A first look at changes coming to the Baltic states, and more on Poland||2021-05-12|
|5||Combat and Stats changes||A look at changes coming to combat||2021-05-05|
|4||Tank Designer||Look at the changes coming to tank design with the upcoming DLC||2021-04-28|
|3||Poland Focus Tree Rework Part 2/2||Look at the changes to the Polish tree in the upcoming DLC||2021-04-21|
|2||Poland Focus Tree Rework Part 1/2||Introduction of the reworked Polish focus tree coming with the free update||2021-04-14|
|1||Early look at supply and the coming year||An early look at the new supply/war system||2021-04-07|